Key Topics covered-
- Defining Psychology
- Nature and Scope
- Brief History
- Branches of Psychology
Let’s begin by understanding psychology in its simplest form as follows-
- Affect – It refers to one’s emotions like being happy or sad.
- Behaviour – It refers to the different ways in which we act how we feel which can be overt ( observable ) or covert ( not observable ) to others. For example – Smiling while meeting one’s friends or arguing with a friend.
- Cognition – It refers to our thought process . For example learning something like riding a cycle , while doing so our brain makes neural connections in order to remember and store what we have learned.
NATURE OF PSYCHOLOGY-
(derived from Greek words)
( mind) (study or science)
Hence psychology is the science of behaviour and cognitive processes. It is the field that seeks to obtain information on everything we think , feel or do. For doing so it examines overt behaviour , cognitive processes , physiological events , social and cultural influences , hidden and largely unconscious processes , and also the interaction among the mentioned factors.
It helps us to understand why species behave the way they do .
Definition given by psychologists-
- Psychology is the scientific investigation of mental processes and behaviour. (Burton, Westen, & Kowalski, 2009)
- Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior, according to the American Psychological Association.
NATURE & SCOPE –
The subject matter studied in it is –
- The development of behaviour including the role of heredity and maturation.
- The structure and function of nervous system .
- Sensation and perception
- Mental disorders
- Humanistic psychology
BRANCHES OF PSYCHOLOGY-
Others are – Abnormal Psychology
HISTORY OF PSYCHOLOGY-
Useful resources for further learning: